Learning New Techniques from Booby Tuesday!
Today I attended Breast Feeding Group and it was so nice being surrounded by others that wanted help and support. Not only did I feel at ease, I felt calm – which was nice, as it’s the first time I wasn’t thinking about work, deadlines, pressures, stepchild arriving and more! I just relaxed and calmed into the group, I even made a friend (cheers!). Most of you will know I have real issues with trust and therefore keep people at a massive distance from me. I have 3-4 people I talk to and can be truly honest with in my life, everyone else, kept at arms length.
So, I am going through the motions this week and trying to check the latch, the hold and that she is okay with feeding from me. I have learnt the following already:-
- Bring the baby to the breast, not the other way round
- Hold the back of the neck, not the head and allow movement
- The chin should be on the breast, not the nose (a problem I had!)
- Place the nipple on the nose and allow baby to tilt head and latch on
- It is okay to feed from both breasts in one sitting
- Most breastfeeding stories are myths – like not being able to have a glass of wine if breastfeeding or not being able to take anti-biotics or painkillers
- The most important – breast feeding does NOT come naturally to everyone, but it is natural and designed to work for you and the baby, so keep going and praise yourself for trying and sticking with it
I really enjoyed my group and will be going back next week and as many weeks as I can, so I can be helped and supported along my journey.